December Riders of the Month
Kim Jaya & Maison Chen
Kim and Maison are SDBC's power couple!
1. What is your profession/job title?
Maison: Radiologist at Kaiser.
Kim: Occupational medicine physician at Kaiser.
2. Which SDBC team are you on?
M: Men’s Cat 3.
K: Women’s team.
3. What's your go-to song to pump you up before a race?
M: Most of the time, I am getting the kids ready for their races before my own race. Instead of songs, I just yell at them.
K: Maison’s yelling pumps me up.
4. Do you have any goofy rituals you do before/during/after riding?
M: No. I am NORMAL.
K: I change my socks right before my races. It’s all about the socks.
5. What’s your favorite meal to eat after a long ride?
M: Fried chicken, fried chicken sandwiches. Anything fried.
K: Whatever is in the fridge.
6. What’s your favorite race and why?
M: Belgian Wafer Ride. I am getting too old and too scared in crit races. Belgian Wafer feels like a long cross race, which I also enjoy racing in. Also, because Kim likes it and we can do it together.
K: Belgian Wafer Ride. I like riding on the road and in the dirt. The race combines the best of two worlds.
7. How did you find out about SDBC?
M: When I moved to San Diego 7 years ago, I didn’t know anybody. On a Saturday morning, I was riding on San Diguieto and got passed by the A ride. I sat on the group and found out about the club through the other riders. I decided to join because my favorite color is green and the team has a green kit.
8. What’s your favorite flavor of Fluid??
M: Blueberry pomegranate.
9. Anything else you would like to share?
M: Despite the change in team color, I have decided to stay with the team because of the friends I have made.